Thursday 11 July 2013

Hardwick Hall: 'more glass than wall'

In light of the sudden spurt of summer over the last few days, I confess that I have rather been neglecting my reading and writing of blog posts. The combination of being at home in West Cornwall, blazing hot sunshine and beaches are not especially conducive to work!

I did, however, just want to share with you a few photos that I rediscovered on my iPhone this week. For my birthday in May, my parents came up to Loughborough for the weekend and one day we went over to Hardwick Hall. The house is truly one of the most magnificent things I have ever seen: the adage that it is 'more glass than wall' is certainly true! Of course, in the early-modern period, glass was extremely expensive, and so the amount of window glass on display at Hardwick functions as an external symbol of wealth, class, and social status. Along with the initials of Bess of Hardwick (E. S. - Elizabeth Shrewsbury) that are set atop the Hall's roof, its external facade is certainly something to behold, and this was clearly Bess's intention! There would have been no mistaking the wealth of the Hall's owner as visitors drew close to it. I think that there is something really exciting about being able to literally walk in the footsteps of those who lived and breathed in the period that you are researching, and if any of you have the opportunity to visit Hardwick Hall, I would highly recommend it. I would also recommend the restaurant's fine selection of cake, particularly if you happen to have a penchant for Guinness cake, or beetroot and chocolate cake (yes, really)!




The first two pictures are of the original Hardwick Hall, Bess's childhood home. Eventually, with her accumulated wealth, she returned to the site and re-built the Hall in the place where it stands today (see bottom picture).

© Jenna Townend 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment